On September 14, Apple unveiled the iPhone 13, which included several new features. The update includes several enhancements, including camera upgrades. Find out more about the iPhone 13’s naming conventions, the reduced notch, and other important information by reading on.
What is the iPhone 13 called?
The iPhone continues its upward naming trend this year, with the iPhone 12 being replaced by the iPhone 13.
iPhone 13 release date
On September 14, 2021, at 10 a.m. PDT, Apple introduced the iPhone 13, and on September 24, 2021, it started shipping.
Below is a comparison of Apple’s iPhone announcement and release dates from 2017 through 2021 for your perusal.
iPhone 13 price
- The proprietor of the iPhone 13 is $799.
The storage choice you select will affect the cost of each new iPhone model. All iPhone 13 versions are listed here, along with their costs for each type of storage that is offered.
iPhone 13 design and size
The 2021 iPhone range shares virtually all of its design cues with the iPhone 12, except being a little heavier and thicker to accommodate bigger batteries. Additionally, Apple has reduced the notch’s width by 20%.
Even though the iPhone 12 small allegedly didn’t sell as well as Apple had anticipated, the form factor continues with the official release of the iPhone 13 mini.
- One 5.4-inch OLED-display iPhone from 2021
- Two 6.1-inch OLED-equipped 2021 iPhone models will be released.
- One 6.7-inch OLED-display iPhone from 2021
OLED screens are present on the iPhone 13 small, iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro, and iPhone 13 Pro Max. But this year’s Pro versions stand out thanks to new ProMotion display technology.
Depending on what you’re doing, the ProMotion display on the iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max can adjust its refresh rate from 10Hz to 120Hz.
According to Apple, the iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini include a new Wide camera that captures 47% more light for lower noise and brighter photos. Additionally, Apple has brought sensor-shift optical image stabilization, which was previously available only on the iPhone 12 Pro Max, to the iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13, and iPhone 13 small.
The custom-designed Ultra-Wide camera with a new sensor captures images with better clarity in the dark portions of photos and videos with less noise, according to Apple, who also claims that this “stabilizes the sensor instead of the lens so shots are more stable.”
The new Cinematic mode on the iPhone 13 also adds a depth effect and automated focus adjustments to recordings of people, animals, and objects. The Portrait mode function that has been offered for still photographs is comparable to this. According to Apple, users may alter the focus before, during, and after a photo or video is taken, as well as the amount of bokeh in the Photos app and iMovie.
Additionally, Apple is adding a feature dubbed Photographic Styles, which it defines as personalized settings and filters that automatically make the appropriate modifications to various aspects of the image to ensure that the key details, like as skin tones, are kept.
Certainly, the iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max offer some unique features. Both versions come equipped with an Ultra-Wide camera, an f/1.8 aperture, autofocus, and a 6-element lens, which improves low-light performance by 92%. With an f/1.5 aperture, the Wide camera offers a 2.2x boost in low-light performance. The telephoto camera also features a brand-new 3x optical zoom sensor, which is a first.
A few other camera features are:
- Macro photography – With a minimum focus distance of 2 cm, users may take crisp, beautiful pictures of magnified things that look larger than life.
- Auto HDR 4
- ProRes video capture
- for all three cameras, the night mode
Reviews for the iPhone 13 models
Each phone we get is extensively tested and reviewed here at PhoneArena. Each iPhone 13 model is briefly described here, along with a link to its review where you can learn more about it, see samples taken with its camera, see how well it did in our benchmark testing, see how long its battery lasts, and more.
- The iPhone 13 tiny is the smallest of the 2021 iPhones, yet it still has the same sleek, contemporary look with flat sides and outstanding performance as the other versions. Please read our review of the iPhone 13 mini for additional information.
- The middle child of the 2021 models, the iPhone 13 has the second-largest battery after the Pro Max and a more conventionally sized 6.1-inch display. See our iPhone 13 review for additional information if you’re curious about this device.
- Over the previous two generations, the iPhone 13 Pro has an additional camera and two more gigabytes of RAM. Additionally, compared to a 60Hz refresh rate, its display is twice as smooth at 120Hz. Aside from the Pro Max, this is the only iPhone 13 model that comes with 1TB (1000 GB) of storage. Read more about it in our review of the iPhone 13 Pro.
- The iPhone 13 Pro Max, which has a 6.7-inch display, is the biggest of the group and shares many features with the Pro. Moreover, it features the biggest battery (4352 mAh). To learn more, please see our review of the iPhone 13 Pro Max.