Anyone who uses an iPhone and is worried about their privacy and the chance that others could watch their online activities or perhaps the websites they have visited using a browser on their Apple phone. You’ll be glad to know that there’s a quick and easy way to delete cookies on your iPhone, allowing you to remove any Internet history or website data that may be covertly or blatantly tracking your online activities on some websites.
On the iPhone, this technique for deleting cookies will work with both the Apple Safari and Google Chrome web browsers. If you’re not familiar with cookies, they’re little files that websites download to your phone automatically and use to store information about your preferences.
These large corporations make good money by keeping track of your frequent Internet activity and selling the data to other companies. Fortunately, Apple provides a variety of tools and settings that you may utilize to protect your privacy and data. These settings apparently cost Facebook over $10 billion in revenue by preventing Facebook, or rather Meta, from tracking iPhone users and profitably selling their data to other companies.
You can stop websites from tracking your iPhone’s actions by going to the iPhone Settings App > Safari. Make that the Privacy and Security section’s Prevent Cross-Site Tracking option is selected. You can also block all cookies and hide your IP address from trackers by using the options below. This might not be the best option, though, as it might disable functionality on particular websites and online stores, as was already mentioned.
Other privacy and security features that Apple recently added allow you to control whether or not advertisers can track the performance of associated ad activity on your iPhone as well as receive alerts when your iPhone comes across a fraudulent website. Learn more about all the new privacy features that Apple announced last year by visiting the Apple Support website.
Another way to stop unwelcome third parties from tracking your online activity is to regularly clear or delete the cookies on your iPhone. You can either delete each website’s cookies individually or completely clear your iPhone’s cookies and browsing history to accomplish this.
Delete iPhone Cookies and clear browsing History
The steps listed below will help you erase all cookies and your browser history from your iPhone and any other devices linked to your current iCloud account.
- First, launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
- As you navigate through the Safari settings menu, the Clear History and Website Data option will be highlighted in blue.
- Read the disclaimer that states clearing the cookies from the Safari app on your iPhone will delete all Internet history on all devices logged into your iCloud account, along with history, cookies, and other browsing information.
- Accept the warning and select Clear History and Data to proceed.
If you would like to select individual website data on your iPhone and clear the cookies one site at a time, follow the instructions below.
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Safari Settings page and choose Advanced.
- Select Website Data on the advanced page.
- Swipe left on the website you wish to remove.
- By clicking the button at the bottom of this page, you can also remove all website data from your iPhone.
By routinely deleting website cookies from your phone, you can prevent websites from tracking your online behaviour over the long term.